Monday, September 12, 2005

Alasdair Gray

I spent most of the weekend (it's Indian Summer now, so forget all that nostalgic autumn stuff I wrote last week) on the couch with Loki, drinking coffee and reading Alasdair Gray's masterpiece Lanark: A Life in Four Books. (obviously, I also figured out how to make a little side-link to what I'm reading...I'm so smrt.) Gray is a Scottish novelist/poet/playwright/illustrator/painter/screenwriter, and Lanark was his first novel. I've read several of his other novels (one of which, Poor Things, is excellent, though I found the others a bit lacking), and I've been meaning to read Lanark for quite a while now. Every time I see Caleb he asks me if I've read it yet. I finally started it last week and I've hardly been able to put it down. I can't really explain it so well...check out the reader reviews on Amazon. So yeah...relaxing.

On a completely unrelated note, Richard Roeper (of all people) wrote this scathing collection of quotes and commentary on the recent Katrina debacle, and features what is quite possibly the most depressing thing I've ever read:

"The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in a St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, 'Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' [starting to cry] And he said, 'Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night." -- Jefferson Parish president Aaron Broussard, Sept. 4, on NBC's "Meet the Press," in one of the defining media moments of all the hurricane coverage.

I'm trying my damndest not to rant and rave about this whole situation, but it's difficult. It seems like such a monumental fustercluck on everybody's part...I don't understand how the hell it happened. I should stop before I start throwing objects around the office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker