Friday, September 09, 2005

puppies and kitties and chinchillas and stuff

okay, so today I was planning to write about Bob Dylan, as I've been digging the new Bootleg Series album (and am getting psyched for the Scorsese-directed documentary). however, I'm going to save that for another time.

I got to work this morning and I've been reading about all the homeless and abandoned animals in New Orleans and other areas hit by Hurricane Katrina. I'm totally depressed. The people who got killed...well, I don't want to sound callous, but there was ample warning, plus the city set up shelters. Humans knew what was coming and made decisions. I'm not going to go into the way the whole thing was (mis)managed...that's a rant for another time. My point is, the dogs and cats and parrots of New Orleans had no say in the matter. There are stories of dogs trapped on the roofs of burning buildings, cats hiding from people trying to rescue them, animals starving in the streets, drinking contaminated water, dying while watching over the corpses of their owners. And it breaks my heart. The idea of getting rescued from such a horrible situation only to be told that I couldn't bring Loki with me...I don't even want to think about it.

So please, if you've got some spare change, make a donation. There are several animal rescue charities out there. I donated to the Humane Society's Disaster Relief Fund. Loki and I thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker