Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Big Black

I was in high school when the first Shellac album came out. My brother came home from college, handed me a tape, and said "you have to hear this." And indeed I did. After that, I realized I had to track down everything Steve Albini had done. Well, the stuff he'd performed on, anyway. So I leafed through my trusty copy of the Trouser Press Record Guide and found out that he'd been in a band called Big Black. I hesitated, though, because there was no drummer. They used a drum machine. I HATE drum machines. To me, every band with a drum machine might as well be Wham. But I digress. I figured "maybe this Albini guy" could make me overlook the whole drum machine thing, and I went to my trusty local record store (few and far between in southern Maine, I assure you) and bought a copy of what Trouser Press argued was Big Black's finest album: their delicately-titled swan song, Songs About Fucking. About two seconds into the first song, I realized that this was an album of unprecedented power, horror, and greatness. Together, my friend Zach and I spent many hours listening to Albini's nails-on-a-chalkboard guitar and hoarse shouted vocals as we tried to get through each torturous day of school.

So last night, when my toilet blew up for the sixth? seventh time?, I knew right where to turn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Base said...

What causes your toilet to blow up? Do you have Indian restaurants in your area with uncompromisingly strong vindaloos? Are there terrorists living in your u-bend? Do you pee nitroglycerine?
I'm intrigued...

5:18 AM  
Blogger scott said...

Nothing quite so noteworthy. It appears to be good ol' American incompetence. (NOT incontinence)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

How 'bout that crazy guitar player in Big Black who wasn't Steve Albini... the one who just marched in place during their entire live show while staring at some chick in the crowd he wanted to hate-fuck.

I am drunk on pinot noir right now. I'm sorry I brought this up. Sigh.

6:16 PM  
Blogger scott said...

ah yes, Santiago Durango. After Big Black broke up, he became a lawyer. Seriously.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker